Preconstruction Manager Mechanical
Since 1979 PARIC has focused on being one of the top general contractors, construction managers and design/build firms in the region. As one of the largest privately held companies in the Midwest, PARIC prides itself in investing in the community and building lasting client relationships.
PARIC people operate in accordance with our core values in a safe, client-focused manner aimed at delivering excellence. To ensure this, we recruit the highest caliber talent and provide them with the most advanced tools and training turning our clients’ visions into reality.
PARIC’s Core Values
For more than 40 years, PARIC’s core values have successfully guided and driven our company to success. These values are the fundamental principles that shape who we are as a company and how we conduct business.
POWER OF ONE TEAM – Because people are the force behind every success. We have unity in purpose and diversity in talent.
EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS – Because surpassing all expectations is so profoundly satisfying. This commitment to excellence extends to every employee and to every project.
ENHANCING OUR COMMUNITY – Because we build more than buildings. We give our time, talents and resources to a range of community efforts.
DOING WHAT WE SAY – Because as the adage says: “You’re only as good as your word.” If we say something is going to happen, it will happen.
RELENTLESS EVOLUTION – Because if you’re not learning from your mistakes, you’re not growing. We embrace positive change, face challenges head-on and get even better with every project.
Reporting to Vice President of Procurement, this position is responsible for managing and overseeing the purchasing and subcontracting activities for projects while working with the Preconstruction and Operations team to provide the best value overall. This position has ROI responsibility.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Construction Management, related field or related experience
- Ten or more years of construction or purchasing experience in a technical or construction related field
- Exceptional communication and excellent listening skills
- Excels in developing and implementing processes
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Able to multi-task on a large variety of construction projects
- Create Relationships with suppliers and subcontractors
- Create Scopes of work based on drawing sets and specifications
- Experience with multiple project types and sizes
- Able to read and understand construction plans and specifications
- Good understanding of subcontract and purchase order commercial terms and conditions
- Cost management experience
- Construction operations (field) experience
- Advanced shop drawing and construction document interpretation skills
- Work on new contract pre bid process with Estimating to develop strategy for Subcontractor selections
- Participate in the development or review of design criteria for mechanical systems in Design-Build projects.
- Maximize profit through negotiating payment terms and conditions as well as discounts and year-end incentives with vendors
- Monitor and forecast upcoming levels of demand and assure subcontractors are slotted with correct workload to assure performance levels are met
- Craft negotiation strategies for direct buy of mechanical equipment and close deals with optimal terms
- Prepare detailed material take-off and source quotes based on plans and specifications
- Represent company in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers
- Work with manufacturer and project subcontractor to assure adherence to Subcontract T&C’s
- Assist in prequalifying subcontractors and vendors. Provide timely input as to project requirements, potential subcontractor workload, project timing, etc.
- Assist in short listing of subcontractors for upcoming projects
- Assist team with review of bid packages and scopes of work prior to receiving bids
- Manages, coordinates, and monitors activities and functions of multiple projects in cooperation with other departments and outside agencies including contractors, design firms, architects, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors
- Develop and maintain relationships with subcontractors and suppliers to ensure adequate resources for all projects and to continually improve pricing and quality of work
- Participate in buyout kickoff meeting to be held with the project team (preconstruction and operations). Topics will be buyout strategy, schedule, budgeting assistance provided by subcontractors, previous discussions with subcontractors regarding award, etc.
- Work with Estimators to complete buyout within 45 days of notice to proceed. Create buyout schedule with buyout targets with input from the project team
- Review project plans and specifications and document opportunities and risks for project team
- Evaluate bids including interviewing subcontractors and suppliers
- Evaluate design solutions proposed by Design-Build subcontractors
- Provide VE ideas on design assist and Design Build projects
- Negotiate and issue purchase orders and subcontracts
- Prepare plan and ensure we provide feedback to subcontractors for bid results
- Solicit and negotiate master subcontract agreements per Rules of Engagement
- Ensure compliance to project budgets and provide analysis of deviations
- Track commodity trends and price increases
- Ensure all subcontractors complete cost breakdown matrix (schedule of values) to support development of cost history.
- Investigate and utilize all Incentives available such as AMEREN and other utility companies
- Commissioning Assistance at job sites
- Develop early preliminary budgets for mechanical and plumbing scopes
PARIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status.